Open Defecation Free (ODF) Protocol
Definition of Open Defecation Free city/ward: A city/ward can be notified/declared as ODF city/ODF ward if, at any point of the day, not a single person is found defecating in the open.
Necessary infrastructure and regulatory conditions to be achieved before declaring a city/ward as Open Defecation Free:
- All households that have space to construct toilet, have constructed one.
- All occupants of those households that do not have space to construct toilet have access to a functional community toilet within a distance of 500 meters.
- All commercial areas have functional public toilets within a distance of 1 kilometer.
- Details of all Individual household toilets (IHHL) constructed from 2011 onwards will have to mandatorily be uploaded on the SBM-Urban portal
- Pictures of all functional community and public toilets in the city, irrespective of the date of construction, will have to mandatorily be uploaded on the SBM-Urban portal.
The following protocol is to be adopted for declaring a city/ward as Open Defecation Free (ODF):